Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Dentist

“You are a lovely lady. Let’s fill you up” That’s what my dentist said to me as I had yet another filling.

A trip to the dentist has always been problematic for me. My last visit cost me more than $3,000. And when I had my wisdom teeth pulled out I had to re-finance my home loan. I was working at Chatswood at the time and my nearest dentist was a fancy bloke with fancy equipment.

Instead of being anaesthetised during the extraction of my wisdom teeth, he got in a bloke that practiced ‘sleep dentistry’ He placed a needle in my arm. In no time I was asleep. During the operation this sleep dentistry fella would just monitor my heartbeat on his own portable machine. When I awoke, I didn’t have that drugged out feel.

And while I had two wisdom teeth pulled out, the next day I was mighty fine. I even received a call from my fancy dentist. This fella was good.

Years later (I am pretty bad I don’t practice the six monthly visits) I thought I’d go back to the dentist of my youth – Dr Andrew Frame. Dr Frame has been in Burwood for years and he’s tops. We first met Dr Frame when my sister was in a car accident in Dee Why and had her front teeth smashed in. Dr Frame put them back together again. And we have never looked back. He’ll take ages to put a needle in your gums, which means you only feel a very dull pressure. He used to say to me, “If my prick hurts just kick me”.

It was lovely seeing him again. And the best thing is I only walked out with a $179 bill. Having said that I will have to go again to get more fillings and a plastic guard. Apparently I grind a lot in my sleep and so need them protected. That will cost me another $600 bucks. Looks like I may have to hold back on getting the Caroma Walvit Invisi toilet suite with the invisiable cistern.

Dr Andrew Frame: 02 9744 7201

No comments: