Thursday, May 8, 2008

Marrickville Greek Style



Greeks have been a big part of Marrickville history. While Vietnamese noodle places now dominate Marrickville Road, some Greek remanets remain. As does Alexander the Great Macedonian Club.

I decided to visit the place with my buddies on Saturday.

Our Greek Goddess buddy Maria took control of the food order. We ordered dips, bread and a mixed seafood and meat platter. Red wine was also the order of the day.

Five minutes into the conversation, the musicians began. It wasn’t exactly background music. Rather it pierced into every word we said. We thought of finishing up our feed and buggerig off to the REM,

Then Leo Sayer came out and serenaded us. There was no escape. Instead we smiled duly and watched him duet with Dolly Parton. In order to sustain any conversation between us, we resorted to note writing. At that stage it was time for a jug of ale.


Leo serenades Maria


While Dolly Parton works the crowd


Note taking was the only way to converse

For Penny it was time for a smoke. We needed to get out.

“As a Greek chick I am really embarrassed about the place.” Maria said. Sam reassured her by saying that Aussies have their RSL clubs.

We waved goodbye to Leo and that was that. Outside Penny and I had a conversation with one of the security guards.

“It used to be happening, this place. Now everyone goes to places like the Ivy.”

I asked him if he was Greek.

“I am part Macedonian and part Jewish. I am thinking of becoming fully Jewish. That way I can start making some money”.

No comments: